Mechanic - HGV
- Location: Edinburgh
- Salary: £17.10 per hour
- Job Type: Temporary
- Date Posted: 26/07/2022
Location: Edinburgh West
Hours of work: Mon-Fri 06.30-14.00 or 12.00-20.00
Rate of Pay: £17.10 per hour
Temporary ongoing work with no end date
To carry out repairs and testing to all HGV and LCV vehicles and plant as required. This includes risk assessments, problem solving and ensuring safe working practices are adopted at all times. Repairs are carried out to a high standard in line with manufacturer's recommendations, DVSA regulations and recognised work practices and times.
Duties to Include:
- Repair and maintain vehicles to DVSA/manufacturer standards, ensuring completion of jobs within required timescale.
- MOT Testing (where appropriate qualifications are held) as and when required.
- Ensure all works are carried out in a cost-effective manner consistent with the requirements to achieve best value.
- Cleaning and preparing vehicles and parts for maintenance purposes.
- Keep up to date with required trade qualifications and current vehicle legislation
- Comply with H&S policies and carry out on site risk assessments for jobs undertaken.
- Ensure site of job is left clean and safe.
- Utilise monitor equipment to record Hand and Arm vibrations (currently HAV meters) ensuring usage is controlled within acceptable levels.
- Ensure all personal tools and equipment are maintained to an acceptable level in line with Health and Safety requirements.
- Responsible for fully inspecting, repairing and maintaining Fleet Assets which must conform to DVSA maintenance standards signing documentation to state that a vehicle is fit for operation on the road. These Council assets includes waste vehicles, passenger cars, vans and welfare minibuses carrying vulnerable passengers.
- Responsible for inspection, preparation and presentation of Fleet Assets for annual MOT test for which the organisation is monitored on performance of 'first time' pass rate by the DVSA.
Successful applicants must:
- Hold a recognised trade qualification, eg. NVQ Level 3 in Heavy Vehicle Maintenance or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of working on heavy goods vehicles.
- Be fully time served and certified and have an extensive knowledge of a variety of models of LGV, light commercial and plant in at least one of the desirable skills listed as multiple skills are needed to maintain a modern fleet including alternative fuelled vehicles.
- Good communication skills including ability to communicate technical information to colleagues and customers.
- Be Flexible
- Be proficient in operation of IT technology.
- Working knowledge of all current Health and Safety legislation and best practice.
If you think that you have the skills and experience for this role then please apply directly to this advert